Early Rain Screenplay: Na Han-bong Camera: Yu Jae-hyung Music: Park Chun-shik Editing: Kim Hee-su Shin Seong-il Moon Hui Production: Cha Tae-jin
Isn’t that a nice sign on the door? It belongs to a man living in Paris. He left because he is
now our Ambassador to France. Everyone is jealous of this beautiful house and his prestigious background, but not me. That’s Mary, she’s a lazy good for
nothing who does nothing all day. See that 20-year old girl beside her…
she does nothing but sleep in and read magazines all day.
That 20-year old happens to be me. Am I the ambassador’s daughter, you ask? Actually, I dropped out of
school and was hoping I would be whisked away to France,
when I came to this house. But instead, I ended up bored. It’s not just me though. That’s the ambassador’s wife.
She sits home all day not uttering a word, no expression on her face,
just working away on her needlepoint. Why didn’t she go to Paris? Now, what was
her eldest daughter’s illness called… Anyway, it’s a hard name to remember but because of her illness,
we weren’t able to go to Paris. So now our mundane lives
are even more mundane but, there are some exciting moments. How have you been? This package came this morning from Paris. Please give my regards to
the ambassador’s wife. You’re leaving already?
But you came all this way… It’s no problem, I just stopped
by during my lunch hour. Ok then, have a good day. I wonder what it is? Makeup?
Clothes? Books? Hey, whose briquettes
do you use these days? Sampyo’s. Hmm… Yookpyo’s briquettes
are supposed to be better but they suck too. They fall apart when you pick them up
and the flame always go out. Oh! It’s a dress and it’s the kind of pink I like. Wow. Wow. Wow. It’s a new raincoat. Daddy must think I’m completely recovered. Give it away to someone. Who should I give it to? Ra-mi? Ra-mi had one made for her last year. Then what about Mi-ra’s mom? Do you think Mi-ra’s mom
will like this color? Then who should I give it to. – Hey, do you want to wear it?
– Me? Yes! Just hang on to it and wear it
when you go shopping. I hate the sun, it chased away all the clouds. I can’t stand feeling this bitter. The weather forecast used to be
wrong from time to time, but these days it’s always right. It’s time for this week’s forecast. It will remain warm until Friday but starting Saturday it will be overcast and monsoon season will start on Sunday. Really? Now for another song. It’s raining. Rain… rain… rain, rain, rain! Am I happy? Do I like it? Do I want to die? Rain, it’s raining! Nobody knows what I’m feeling.
They can’t even imagine. I made up an errand just so I could get out. I’ve finished running the errand but I don’t want to go home. I just have way too much energy to go home. Do you think she got it
from the army’s relief supplies? No, it looks brand new. I don’t know why she thinks she’s so hot. She’s just like the rest of us. I agree. Why don’t you sit here. Hurry up and make your move. Do you think she’ll bite? – I’m confident her lips will.
– Really? Yes, I’m willing to bet my life savings. – Miss Lee?
– Miss Park? Miss Kim? Miss I don’t want to! Sorry I’m late. Are you mad? To make up for it… Are you hurt? – This is your first time here, right?
– Yes You probably thought this place
played classical music right? I’m sorry? Yes. Why don’t I show you a place
where they play classical music? I’m going home now. Wait a minute! I take the idea of responsibility
very seriously. Those guys might still be in the area so let me take you home. It just so happens
that I brought my car today. Do you always hit on girls like this? You’re rather straightforward. If this method doesn’t work,
I try something else. If you’re ok with it,
then please accept my offer. – Where do you live?
– In the Jang-chung neighborhood. – That’s what I thought.
– Do you go there often? When I have time. Who’s your favorite composer? Tchai… Oh, Tchaikovsky! I like him too. You like Tchaikovsky yet you
also like to beat people up? You don’t know what you’re talking about. Tchaikovsky drank poison
because of a beautiful girl. Liar – This is a nice car.
– It’s a little old-fashioned. The car my dad bought last month
is really smooth. Oh I’m sorry. What’s wrong? I thought you were a chauffeur. Wow, that’s quite a blow.
Do you know Kukdong Industrial? – My dad is the company’s president.
– I see. – What does your dad do?
– Well… – Let’s see… is he the president of a company?
– No. – A member of the National Assembly?
– No – A cabinet minister?
– No Then what’s your phone number? When I’m at home I’m not allowed to receive any phone calls. You’re family must be really conservative. Yes, it’s pretty suffocating. I wonder what your family is like? You can stop here. – Is that your house?
– No It’s that white, marble house. You mean Kim Dae-geun,
the French Ambassador? I’m sorry. I didn’t recognize you.
Excuse me for being so rude. I can’t believe
you’re Ambassador Kim’s daughter. Sorry. Thanks for the ride, drive safely. Wait! Miss Kim, can you tell me
when we can see each other again? If it’s our destiny we’ll meet again. Forget destiny, I must see you again, for real. If you won’t meet with me I’m going to come to your house every day. Oh no. When shall we meet?
Tomorrow? The day after? Well, if you insist,
how about the next time it rains. But where? You decide. Let’s meet at City Hall plaza. What time? I don’t know what’s going on. In this raincoat,
I’m the ambassador’s daughter and my name becomes Kim. The French Ambassador,
the French Ambassador’s daughter, the French Ambassador’s
daughter’s boyfriend. Oh God, what should I do? This raincoat is transforming my life. What should I do? This briquette sucks, it breaks when you pick it up
and goes out when you light it. I bought another fake. Hey you, the one with the car! Don’t you think parking your car
in front of my store will hurt my business? I’m sorry. Please forgive me. I’m just a little excited, I didn’t know. Please forgive me. I’m sorry. Again, I’m sorry. Please forgive me. What a shame, he looks like a normal guy. Listen you idiot, the car was supposed to be fixed
in 30 minutes. Instead you take it for a joyride?
What am I going to tell the owner you idiot. How many times is it now? How many? What’s the big deal,
all I have to do is fix it and return it, right? What did you say? Do me a favor.
Please… just today, give it a break. The way I feel. The way I feel now, I’m not in any mood to fight with you. I’m the best mechanic you have,
but if you keep pushing me, you will be the one that loses out. Why you! You! And you! Have you taken
rat poison or something? You’ve been nodding off
and yawning all night. How are you going to learn
anything like that. Listen son, when I was your age,
that wasn’t how I learned my job. Yeah, but you ended up being
the boss of someone like me. What? What did you just say? What did you say? If you made a mistake you should be
begging for forgiveness, but here you are talking about your moods! – Why you!
– Love is beautiful. That kid has gone crazy. Please move. – What? You!
– Please move, I’m working. Oh you! You! Hey. – Let me tell you!
– You got her? Are you kidding me? Is she French with blue eyes? – It’s the ambassador’s daughter.
– Ambassador? You’re down because
she’s from a wealthy family. Hey! I can’t live like this. I don’t want to be the one fixing cars.
I want to be the one getting his car fixed. Do you understand now? Do you? – I got it.
– You got it? What’s gotten into you? Have you forgotten? We promised to share
a dance when we broke up. Isn’t it too early to end things? You’re going to need me
until you graduate university. Do you think relying on that
third-rate university is going to get me anywhere? But there was no harm
in being with me, right? None. You bought me clothes, bread, cigarettes – and…
– gave you something that resembled love. But that’s the one thing
I didn’t ask for right? Now what are you going after? A rainbow hanging in the bright,
sunny sky. – What if you can’t get it?
– I will, and after I do I will pay my debt to you with interest. Then, adieu! Wait. If you should fall
while you’re chasing that rainbow don’t hesitate to come back. I’ll be waiting with some medicine. You’re a fine lady but that doesn’t mean
I want you to wait for me. Adieu. Hello, is this the weather service? Rain, when is it going to rain? It’s not raining tomorrow either? It’s going to clear up
the day after tomorrow? What? It’s raining right now? It’s raining Mary. It’s raining! Oh, Mary. It’s raining! Hey, it’s raining. So it’s raining… So what? It’s raining! Look, it’s raining. – Lend me some money.
– Money? – Money!
– I don’t have any money. Just give me the money
you borrowed earlier. Come on. I need money but I don’t have any. I need a new suit, shirt and tie.
I can’t believe this… – Hi.
– Hey. Hi. – Hi.
– Hello. – I’m in a hurry, just lend me some money.
– I don’t have any. Don’t be like that. What do you need it for? It’s an investment in my future. When are you going to pay me back? As soon as
you get married and then divorced. Good luck! I don’t think I have any. Help me out. It’s to go on a date. Do you like her? – Honestly… I think I do.
– Then I’ll lend it to you but you have to tell me that I’m the best. Hey, that’s pushing it. Hurry. That’s low. I need that by tomorrow
so make sure to return it tonight. Never mind! And don’t get it dirty! Don’t worry! Here you go. Here. – What do you think? I look good right?
– Yes Better than good. Okay then. How do you do? Hop in. The more I waited the more it didn’t rain. This is the first time in my life
I’ve waited for it to rain. Why were you waiting for the rain? You weren’t waiting for it? No, not really. But you remembered to meet me
at two o’clock when it did. Why are you laughing? – You don’t think this is funny?
– What? Here. Where did this come from? What do you mean where did this
come from, it’s from a tree. Hit him! That’s against the rules. Foul! Bite him, bite him, bite him! Hit him in the chest,
hit him in the chest, hit him in the chest! Throw a punch! Who do you think will win? – The fat one.
– I think the tall one. Whatever! Shall we bet on it? – If the tall one wins, we meet again.
– Fine! If the fat one wins, you have to
bow to me whenever we meet. It suits you. – I’m not the best looking but…
-You look like you have a lot of energy. By the way, there’s a problem. What? We still don’t know each other’s names. Oh, you’re right. – I have a very famous name.
– Really? You can find it in Korean language books. Korean language books? They’re used in grade one. I know! Ba-duk? Huh? You know the person who likes Ba-duk? Oh, Cheol-su! You can find my name in
a Korean language book too! – Yeong-hui?
– Yes! Then we’ve been compatible
since we were kids. Yeong-hui, oh Yeong-hui,
come play with me. Cheol-su, oh Cheol-su
just play with Ba-duk. What’s that sound? It’s a flat tire. Raise it higher. A bit higher. A little bit more. Ok, that’s enough.
I said that’s enough. Can you pass me that hammer.
Here, pass it to me. – Uh oh.
– I think the engine is dead. I don’t think it’s going to start. What’s so funny? I need to get rid of this crappy car. Why didn’t you bring your driver? – I thought it would ruin the mood.
– What? What should we do? My mom’s going to punish me
if I get home late. If you get in trouble,
I’ll go and tell her it’s my fault. – That way I can introduce myself to her.
– That’s not possible. My mother is extremely old-fashioned. What a mess. Hey. You jerks. Jackasses. It looks like there’s a car coming. Over here! What about you? I’ll run over there and make a call.
My driver will come. – Here’s some money.
– I don’t need this much. This isn’t the time to
argue over money. Here. – Adieu.
– Adieu. – Where should we meet next time?
– When it rains, – let’s meet at Jangchung Park.
– Ok. Oh no. I only have 200 won left and the engine won’t start.
What am I going to do? The owner is going to have a fit. It looks like the briquette went out again. I know. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with
the briquette, it’s probably the old heater. You don’t know what you’re talking about. I’ve been using this heater
for two years, it’s fine. It’s the briquette. It’s fake. I thought it was real when I bought it. You know, these days there are lots of fakes
passing themselves off as real. – Where is the grocery bag I left here at lunch?
– It’s over there. – By the way…
– Yes? Our laundry girl, Sam-sun, ran off. Why? I don’t know. She fell for some guy and took off with him. I guess you’re going to
have to hire someone. Yeah, the work is piling up and I can’t do it all myself. Find me a nice, strong girl. Ok, I’ll look around. He’s here! He’s here. – He’s back?
– What the… It’s being towed? I’m going to kill him. What is that? I said, what is that? I can’t believe him! When you want it to rain, it doesn’t. Hello! It’s still busy! Rain? It’s raining! Hey, it’s raining. You might get washed away by a flood,
liking the rain this much. It’s raining. I said it’s raining. Stop talking and listen to me. Are you going to take a car out again? What do you think? If you take out another car,
you’re going to get fired. The last time you took one out,
it broke down. Don’t worry. Do you think
I’m going to give my life to this place? You let me worry about that. I need you to pretend
you’re my driver tomorrow. Do you think someone like me
will pass as a driver? Of course! I’ll pay you a day’s wages. As for the car. I need to look good so bring a new one,
tomorrow at 2:00 sharp, – Jangchung Park.
– You’re falling harder and harder. I’m leaving it in your hands. Now it’s time for me
to round up some cash. Ok, see you. You did a lot of laundry. I washed twelve pieces. Sam-sun didn’t do nearly as good a job. What are you going to do with all
the money you made tonight? Are you getting married? Oh… no. I took over for Sam-sun, working evenings, because I need to make money. Every time I wash one piece it’s 5 won.
For ten pieces, it’s 50 won. If I wash 160 pieces I can buy him a nice dress shirt. They were all expensive and valuable items. With the money
he gave me to get home and the money I made from doing laundry I was able to buy him a dress shirt. I want to buy Cheol socks and underwear and cover his entire body with presents from me. Just give me some money. I’m scared whenever
you show up these days. How can you ask me for money every day? Do you have it or not? I’m broke. – Then I’m going to borrow this dictionary.
– No, not that! Two days, just two days.
I’ll pay you interest. Just this last time. I really don’t have any money today. Then lend me something to sell. All I have is a pipe. Where was it made? – In Italy.
– Oh, I’ll take it. – Nice.
– Hey! Hey, don’t you have any? I only have bus fare. Then how about your ring. Sure, why not. It’s real right? You can try to fool someone
if you want but it’s stainless steel. What? Hey Cheol. Oh hey! Why don’t you hang out
with me these days? Sorry, I’m seeing someone. So, the rumors are true.
What is she like? She’s prettier and richer than you. Good catch! So, are you going to lend it to me or not? Wow, you really must love her. Honestly, I’ve never felt like this before. Fine, I’ll lend it to you
but I don’t have any cash. All I have is this watch and I got this an hour ago from
a homeless guy but I’ll give it to you. Sorry. But in exchange, – just once.
– Of course. Wait. Not on the lips, here… Come on. You can have those. Go on… Fine, this is exactly
what I like you about you. Just give me 7,000 won for everything. If possible, I want it in new 500 won bills. You’ve got stuff here from
a number of different people, I see. – Yep.
– I’m glad you’re honest. Tell me, will this stuff end up
at the police station? What? What are you talking about. Even with those glasses on,
you don’t recognize me? I don’t have much time,
so just give it to me. Hello. Hello. That’s so-so. How do you do? No, no. Comment allez-vous? Comment allez-vous. Comment ca va? Comment ca va? Oh well. You jerk! Comment ca va? Comment ca va? Did you get in trouble
that day for being late? No. – I was sick.
– Sick? In my dream… That was bad. – Let’s go.
– No car today? That car is so rundown
I asked my driver to bring a new car. I think that’s him. Boss! It’s rolling backwards. Why did you bring this car? I waited all day but this is the only sedan
I could get my hands on. You call this a car? Get out of here. Go. I was supposed to call you boss
all day… now what? You… We have no choice.
Why don’t you get in. Welcome. Get out. You’re going to drive? Go take a nice long break. You need to pay me. You bring this piece of crap
and you want me to pay you? Then we have a problem. Oh man. What kind of jerk boss are you? Listen you dummy. I’m gonna kill you later. Goodbye boss. Your driver is a bit strange. He’s not all there. His girlfriend dumped him
earlier this year and he went a bit crazy
after taking some rat poison. Oh, by the way Yeong-hui,
I’ve got a gift for you. – It’s in that bag.
– What is it? Just open it. Do I have to learn to smoke
in order to be your girlfriend? No. Oh, that’s not it.
It’s wrapped in the green paper. – I hope you like it.
– Oh my. Why did you buy me
something so expensive? Do you like it? – Go number seven!
– Go number four! Go! – I think number four is going to win.
– Seven is going to win. – What should we bet?
– What do you want to bet? – If I win, you give me a kiss.
– That’s disgusting. Take off your glove. – I’m just going to read your palm.
– Forget it. – Why, because I’m going to touch your hand?
– My hands are ugly. If you play the piano, your hands are
bound to get thick. Just show me. No. I don’t know anything
about being intimate. – You’ve never watched a movie?
– I have but… I closed my eyes during those scenes. That’s why I said I would teach you. How did you learn? Me? From my mother. Whatever. What? I’ll do it like in the movies.
You try it too. First, close your eyes
as if you’re dreaming. Next, the man will say something like this. Like what? Yeong, Yeong, I love you. – I want to marry you.
– What? You’re going to marry me, right?
Say something. I’ll take your silence as a yes, ok? We’ll get married and go to France. We still have a lot to learn. I know I still have a long way to go. One day, I’ll tell you all about me but since we’ve been together,
I’ve changed. I take things much more seriously. What’s wrong? I can’t marry you. Why not? Is there someone else? Ok, I feel the same way
but let’s get married first, then tell our parents. In that order. Let’s seal this with a kiss on the cheek. Yeong-hui, what kind of house
do you want to live in? What about you Cheol? A huge steel-reinforced concrete house. What about you Yeong-hui? I don’t care if it’s small,
I just want it to be sunny and warm. I want my life to mean something,
to have substance. What about furniture? I don’t care if everything is old and cheap,
with the exception, of one thing. What? – Dishware.
– Dishware? I’m going to have to cook
tasty meals right? I see women are moved by
the sense of touch. If you’re not a woman, you don’t know. It’s so beautiful
when the table is set with nice dishes. Oh, it’s raining. Our rain! Isn’t that cottage beautiful? Yes. We’ll spend our honeymoon
in that cottage. Just for that day,
I hope we can see the moon. No, it’s ok if it rains. And after the honeymoon? The following year and the year after that we’ll come back
if we don’t like the hot, city summers. And what will we do then? I’ll fish off that cliff… What about me? – By then you’ll probably have a lump.
– What do you mean a lump? A baby! You’ll be silently washing the baby’s diapers
in that valley. That’s not fair. You’re already thinking of
ways to goof off while I’m cooking away. I’ll make a beautiful dinner
with the fish you catch. I can’t wait to try it. If you buy me a set of dishware
I’ll make it for you right away. Then I’ll definitely I’ll buy you one! Cheol, you’re the best! Has your briquette gone out again? Where have you been? Did you see a movie with
the money you made? Here, have a flower. Where did you get these flowers?
Aren’t these lilies? This is the first time
someone has given me flowers. – It smells wonderful.
– My grocery bag please. It’s inside. Why are you carrying that tattered umbrella
and not your nice one? I lost it. You should be careful, there are so many people
taking advantage of each other these days. How did you lose it? It was like a dream.
I had my eyes closed. Give it to me. Hurry up and give it to me! I said give it to me. No! If you get fired, I’m going to be bored. Stop kidding around and give it to me.
I would rather get fired than live a boring life. – Give it here!
– I don’t have it! – Where is it?
– I told you, I don’t have it! You’re willing to go out,
even if it means getting fired? I’m going to tell the boss. I’m sorry. Stay here and take a nap. You’ve lost your mind. You’re really going to take the car? You said that
if you got behind the wheel again I could fire you, right? You said it was ok, right? I said it was ok, so fire me. As compensation, I’ll take the car. What? Come on. Would it make you feel better
if I went bankrupt? In the future, when I drive up
with my own car – I’ll give you a big tip.
– What did you say, you jerk? Hey you! Oh you… I can’t believe you. He’s gone crazy. What brings you here? I thought I would come by to see you. How are things? I heard you’re seeing a lot of her. It’s pretty serious this time. What about when you’re with me? Let’s talk about something else.
I have a favor. I need to buy something
but I don’t have any money. Do you really love this girl? I think so. I always thought you would come back. I could go back but with you, I can’t really fulfill my dreams. So you’ve just been using me
all these years, sucking my blood. I promised I would pay you back in cash. What about the things
that can’t be repaid in cash? What do you mean? My heart is aching right now. Stop being childish. You’re going to have to
make me feel better. I need to see his blood, as much blood as he’s sucked from me. Are you being serious? You should know I am. Fine, I’ll bleed for you
if that’s what you want, but you better give me
some cash for the hospital bills. Fine. What the hell? Is this enough? What do you think?
He looks like he’s had enough. If you think we’re even,
just keep your promise It doesn’t matter
how much blood you shed, it doesn’t compare to the pain I’m feeling. I’ll come for the sweater I bought you. I dressed up. I bought a cookbook with the money
I made doing laundry. But… but what if he knows? Oh Lord, I’m ready to confess
and take my punishment. It’s ok, you can punish me. Just let him come, oh Lord. Yeong! Yeong! I’ve circled the tree two hundred times
and thrown a hundred stones but he still doesn’t come.
That’s why I’m crying. Yeong! Yeong! Yeong! Yeong! Cheol! – Come out.
– I can’t right now. – Why didn’t you come meet me earlier?
– I’m sorry I didn’t keep my promise. Why, what happened? I was driving and… You’re injured. It must hurt so much. Stand on the ground,
your feet must hurt. As long as you’re in front of me
I’ll risk breaking my arm. Yeong, let’s go to the cabin tomorrow
even if it doesn’t rain. Let’s keep our promise to each other
and enjoy ourselves. You trust me right? You’ll go even if it’s a secluded cabin
in the woods, right? I will go with you. If there’s a flood
and we can’t come back. I’ll still go with you. If I pass out on the way,
I’ll get up and follow you. Yeong, close your eyes and slowly come towards me. That’s right. Yeong-hui is prepared to wait
at the cabin no matter what. I need 15,000 won to buy dishware. 15,000 won, 15,000 won, 15,000 won. Get your paper here. It’s the evening paper,
buy your paper here. Newspaper, buy your paper here. – No!
– No! Cheol! Die, just die! Die! Die, just die! Money, money! Money! Die, just die! Money! Money! Money! Get him! Yeong! Yeong money! Cheol. Cheol! Cheol! Cheol, what happened? Cheol, talk to me. Yeong, forgive me Yeong! I… I wanted to confess
something down the road but looking into your eyes,
I just can’t hide it any longer. Forgive me. I didn’t want to live a mundane life. I wanted success so badly. I was fighting so hard for it
and that’s when I met you. I used everything I had to fight for it. But I couldn’t even get you a set of dishes. I’m just a tired, useless man. Do you understand, Yeong? Yeong, I don’t drive a sedan, talk about Tchaikovsky to pick up women or drink coffee that costs 50 won.
I’m not the son of a rich man. On the contrary, I fix their cars and mooch off of girls. Yeong, please forgive me. I work in a garage for 70 won a day. Yeong, you’ll forgive me, right? You can forgive me, right? Forgive me! Cheol! Cheol! What am I supposed to do! What about me! I’m not really the ambassador’s daughter. Why didn’t you tell me earlier!
Why didn’t you tell me! I’m a maid who works in his kitchen. I’m a maid. Why couldn’t you have said
something earlier. Because of this. Because of this… Why didn’t you say anything!
Why didn’t you say anything! Why couldn’t you have told me.
Why! Why! Because I didn’t want you
to break up with me. I lied because I wanted to be with you. I wanted you. You can have me! 70 won a day. I’m human trash! Have me! Human trash! Yeong, please forgive me. You need to forgive me. Yeong, I can’t buy you that dishware I promised.
I’m just a useless guy who makes 70 won a day in a garage. I’m a good-for-nothing guy who wants success
but it never seems to work out. I really liked you, Yeong. I risked it all to love you. I gave him everything. I wasn’t sad about becoming a woman. When he comes back, this pain will be washed away. Korean Film Archive presents
Korean captions and English subtitles are sponsored by Google
Translations and subtitles by Free Film Communications